« Home | He Said, She Said, God Said (Tag Team Preaching at... » | Learning to Lead - Part I » | Eulogy for My Dad…Frank A Clayton, III » | Humm. » | What are you doing? » | Things that make you go humm...... » | Back to Political Basics - Something Inside So Strong » | And I Am Planted From Darkness To Light » | » | My Email to Weekends@cnn.com » 

Thursday, March 19, 2009 

Spelman College

I keep getting those letters, e-mails and even phone calls from Spelman asking me to give money. I was reading another blog about what HBCUs do and don't offer and the lack of financial support they receive. I shared the following...

I am a Spelman Woman…and very proud of it. I grew up in an all white and predominantly Jewish neighborhood. I needed Spelman College. I was a young black girl in search of a deeper understanding of what that meant to be a young black woman.

When I crossed those gates, I entered into a world that challenged me. Yes, I was challenged by the long lines for registration. Yes, challenged by the lack of financial aid. Yes, challenged by the registrars “totally off” way of doing things and leading you to believe you weren’t going to graduate because of an error on their end and not yours.
I was challenged by the limiting number (set by the school) of women who were allowed to pledge Greek organizations. I was challenged by my Women’s Studies courses and all the depth they had to offer. AND I was especially challenged by Dr. Weems’ Introduction to Old Testament Class. She walked in, set her things down and we girls (and a few guys) stood in awe of this theological giant. And yes, Dr. Weems, you challenged us when you said, “I am Dr. Weems. I have never taught an undergraduate course. Though this is an undergraduate institution, I don’t plan on changing the way I teach Hebrew Bible.” We looked around and knew we would be challenged.

But beyond the fried chicken Wednesday and fried fish Fridays there was a tremendous gift that was not necessarily taught in the classrooms. When I arrived on the Spelman Campus all of the women looked just like me. We were all African Americas and we were all women. Spelman provided me with a unique opportunity to spend 4 years of my life figuring out what makes me different form all of these women, who externally (according to the senses report) are just like me.

What a tremendously time for me grow, discern real friends, find a sense of direction and learn the value of sisterhood. We were pressed on day one, by Dr. Zenobia Hikes, to spend our time finding our Nia (“Purpose”). At the end of the day, the value of my own self worth could not be taught in the classroom alone, but was a process I needed to engage in order to grow (sometimes late in the midnight hour).

Today, I’m having trouble finding work after attending Princeton Theological Seminary (Lord, it made me appreciate Spelman all the more). But I, with what little I have, have given $25 as often as I can. I do this not just because I should give back, but also because when my student loans are long gone, the gift that this college has given to me will continue. It’s not much, but it is something. Then again, we grew from people who made something out of nothing.

About me

  • I'm Rev. Courtney Clayton Jenkins
  • From Cleveland Heights, OH, United States
  • I am a young woman in pursuit of her God given destiny. It is an interesting road to travel. I don't have it all together and a lot to learn. Step by step and day by day I keep pushing on. These are my thoughts about life, love, the Word and the world.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates

Pannasmontata calendar