« Home | What are you doing? » | Things that make you go humm...... » | Back to Political Basics - Something Inside So Strong » | And I Am Planted From Darkness To Light » | » | My Email to Weekends@cnn.com » | It Hard Out Here For A Prophet! » | A moment of reflection » | Choosing to Cease the Cycle: ... » | Passing through the middle » 

Thursday, September 25, 2008 

Humm.

As I reflect on the people I call "mentors" in my life I found this insightful and helpful. As I think of the people who as me to mentor them it is a helpful guide as well.

How Do You Define Good Mentoring?
Compiled from the Pre-Workshop Assessment for the
FTE Doctoral Programs Alumni Mentoring Workshop
June 12-13, 2008

• “A good mentor is a person who models with his/her own life and work desired qualities. In addition, the mentor makes him/her self available to others through personal contact and e-mail in a timely manner.”

• “Good mentoring begins with empathy for the mentee and demands humility of the mentor. Mentoring is providing a model picture of professional guidance for a dream chaser.”

• A good mentor is “a person who knows you.”

• “concern for the whole person- advising, guiding, and serving as a role model, not just professionally but in one’s entire life”

• “one who understands and keenly negotiates the balance between development of individuals , in relation to self actualization/ authenticity, autonomy (independence)/interdependence, and nurturing/ controlling. Good mentoring is holistic and takes into account the development of both parties”

• “Good mentoring is being intentional in fostering the development of another human being”

• “balanced relationship between individuals that is beneficial for all parties involved. It includes constructive self reflection/ critique and open communication, takes seriously the needs, expectations and goals of all parties involved (and communicates those needs, expectations and goals); and can accommodate the fluid nature of change in the relationship.”

• “Good mentoring occurs when the mentor and the mentee have a relationship based on honest assessment of the mentee’s work and professional development and personal, spiritual growth. Here the boundaries are made clear and the mentor is invested in the vision of the mentees vision and voice as a scholar in their own right.”

• “helping an individual identify their strengths and weaknesses and respond appropriately as they know themselves better”

• “Good mentoring on the part of the mentor involves identifying the mean between excess and deficiency in matters such as: aloofness and intimacy, critique and affirmation, and confidence and vulnerability. Too much of the former- aloofness, critique and confidence- may cause a protégé to view the mentor as overly pedantic, paternalistic and/or imperious. Too much of the latter- intimacy, affirmation, and vulnerability- can make a mentor come across as incontinent, uncritical, and unconfident.”

• “Good mentoring is marked by mutual learning; shared vision and honest feedback. It functions best in an apprenticeship paradigm where best practices are modeled, analyzed and critiqued.”

Wow, I should permalink to this post! Thanks for the wisdom; how are things going for you?

I'm in San Francisco doing music ministry with Jews for Jesus. Intense schedule, but I'm really loving it.

Thanks Jacob. It's been a tough season for me with Dad, health challenges and no job. HOWEVER my faith is strong because I know that "All things work together for the good of them that love the Lord." I've been following your music from a distance. Seems like your doing big things. How do you like Cally?

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Rev. Courtney Clayton Jenkins
  • From Cleveland Heights, OH, United States
  • I am a young woman in pursuit of her God given destiny. It is an interesting road to travel. I don't have it all together and a lot to learn. Step by step and day by day I keep pushing on. These are my thoughts about life, love, the Word and the world.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates

Pannasmontata calendar