« Home | It Hard Out Here For A Prophet! » | A moment of reflection » | Choosing to Cease the Cycle: ... » | Passing through the middle » | I Love Being In Love » | I didn't vote for this... » | Organized Religion » | Cory and I » | Check out my Slide Show! » | A Letter To Camille » 

Sunday, March 23, 2008 

My Email to Weekends@cnn.com

Greetings,

My I start by saying that your question is framed in such a way that causes an attack on an area of theology that is taught in seminaries and divinity schools all around the country. Liberation theology is an approved area of study by the Association of Theological School (ATS).

My I state that courses are taught in Liberation theology (Black, Latino/a, Asian, Gay etc.) and classes are filled with students who are not just minorities or even heterosexuals. In fact in my James Cone course, the father of Black Theology, there were more white students present in the course who was taught by a white female faculty member who supports Black Liberation theology, then African American students.

The reason why liberation theology exists in areas according to racial/ethnic groups is because many agree that theology has historically been done from the perspectives of whites at the center. When theology is done with whites at the center, it has pushed minorities to the margin (Black, Latino/a, Asian, homosexual, poor, etc.). Therefore each racial/ethnic group has developed a theology that places their history and social standing at the center of the gospel.

As a result, I would argue that Liberation Theology in general, and Black Liberation Theology in particular, have been helpful to minority groups who attempt to identify with Christianity and their marginalized status in American society.
I would encourage CNN to have an interview with Dr. James Cone, the father of Black Theology and reach out to others Liberation Theologies such as Luis N. Rivera-Pagán for Latino/a Theology and Jung Young Lee for Asian American Liberation Theology.

Called For the Purpose of the Kingdom,

Courtney L. Clayton
Princeton Theological Seminary
Master of Divinity Candidate

I think your analysis is right on.
However, your lack of, proper, Punctuation,
made your article difficult to read, and, in some cases,
understand.
I had to re-read, and add my own punctuation

ITS FUNNY HOW THE MEDIA LOOK FOR ALL NEGATIVE ON THE PRESIDENT BUT YET IT WAS NOT REGONIZED WHEN X PRESIDENT BUSH GOT THE ECONOMY LIKE IT IS. I SEE NO REASON FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA TO APOLIZE FOR ANYTHING IT IS WHAT IT IS. RACISM HAS ALWAYS PART OF OUR CULTURE. SO IF ANYONE HAS ANYTHING TO SAY TALK ABOUT HOW BUSH MESSED UP FOR 8 YRS AND IS LIVING GOOD NOW WHY WE STRUGGLE TO MAKE IT AND LOOK FOR HELP FROM OUR NEW PRESIDENT TRYING TO CLEAN UP THIS MESS. THE OFFICER WAS WRONG I DON'T CARE HOW MANY CLASSES HE HAS TAUGHT ON PROFILING, BECAUSE GUESS WHAT AT THE END OF THE DAY WE'RE STILL BLACK AND DISCRIMINATED AGAINST EVEN IN 2009, BUT HOPEFULLY THINGS WILL CHANGE WITH OUR NEW PRESIDENT AND IT WILL BE FAIR FOR EVERY CITIZEN AND WE WILL NOT BE JUDGED BY THE COLOR OF OUR SKIN BUT THE CONTENTS OF OUR HEART. DELORES SMITH

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Rev. Courtney Clayton Jenkins
  • From Cleveland Heights, OH, United States
  • I am a young woman in pursuit of her God given destiny. It is an interesting road to travel. I don't have it all together and a lot to learn. Step by step and day by day I keep pushing on. These are my thoughts about life, love, the Word and the world.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates

Pannasmontata calendar