« Home | Eulogy for My Dad…Frank A Clayton, III » | Humm. » | What are you doing? » | Things that make you go humm...... » | Back to Political Basics - Something Inside So Strong » | And I Am Planted From Darkness To Light » | » | My Email to Weekends@cnn.com » | It Hard Out Here For A Prophet! » | A moment of reflection » 

Tuesday, March 03, 2009 

Learning to Lead - Part I


My generation is consumed with the thought of "maximum capacity." Which is to say that so many of us must have the maximum use out of everything, even ourselves. We jump right on in to the deep end...well at least I tend to.

Take for example a Play Station 3 -- or PS3 (which somehow my husband convinced me to buy). The PS3 doesn't just play video games. No, it also plays DVD (blue-ray to be exact), it holds pictures, surf's the web, plays music, can play your games from PS2 and probably a bunch of other things I have no clue about. In other words, it can't just do one things.

I think we treat people like that and it's not good. People are of no use to us if they can only do one thing great. We expect them to great at a long list of things and them expect them to be great at multi-task.

I guess I've been thinking a lot about that, particularly in the context of leadership. My generation is programed to believe that we must do all things well and all at the same time. But what if we stepped back and played to our strengths, knowing that our weakness is someone else's strength.

I am in the midst of trying to form myself into a better leader. I know that God has given me a gift for leadership. However, I am coming to realize that in order to work on my gift of leadership I can't lead in everything, can't be good at everything and certainly can't master everything.

Real leadership, I think I'm coming to understand, is playing to my strengths and finding others to play to my weakness. I don't mean that in a "use people" kind of way. But in the area's where I am weak, someone else is strong.

Furthermore, in the context of the church, we talk about how on 10% of the church does the work. Could that be only because we keep asking the same 10% over and over to assist. If were leading a church, its about finding out what drives the other 90% and helping them find there niche.

In the end, I think Leadership is like preaching. Even if your born with the gifts, you still have to spend time perfecting it.

Amen! I agree, perhaps leadership (whether it be a gift given or not) is not greatly or enthusiastically pursued because of the expectations of those who would follow. This generation is such an instant satisfaction/fix needing people that reflection and honing gifts is never really considered because work/change is required. Thanks for the word! Stay blessed!

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Rev. Courtney Clayton Jenkins
  • From Cleveland Heights, OH, United States
  • I am a young woman in pursuit of her God given destiny. It is an interesting road to travel. I don't have it all together and a lot to learn. Step by step and day by day I keep pushing on. These are my thoughts about life, love, the Word and the world.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates

Pannasmontata calendar