« Home | He's Been Sooooooo Good » | Lawd have mercy » | Hold On... » | Wow a whole month hugh... » | Faithfullness @ Shaker Commuinty » | When The Honeymoon... » | New Pic. This is at the Cornell West & TD Jakes e... » | Sorry its late » | Well glory be to God » | A Moment of Intimacy » 

Thursday, January 26, 2006 

Intersection of intimacy in the life of a minister...I'm greatful in spite of my fear

Yesterday, I had the opportunity to go to a local hospital here in Trenton for an interview for some possible field education experience.  As I sat with the Chaplin and he was telling me of all he does and his varying experiences I was overwhelmed.  Chaplaincy is a divine intersection with ministry.  A place where one cannot hide behind a pulpit but as minister you must personally interact with someone who stands in need.  

Its one thing to do this when you know the person,  or are referenced to them by a mutual friend.  But to minister, personally mind you, to those who know nothing of you and you know nothing of them is a close interaction with God.

I think particularly in the black church, we can stand behind the pulpit and yes speak life.  But when we speak it corporately, as the prophet, we speak life to the masses and don’t have to interact the personal conflicts of those in the audience.  Even if we know the issues of those in the pews, Sunday mornings the masses all stand before us.  

Am I ready for this intersection?  I know it is a door I need to go through.  But I guess it reminds me of moments in life when I have done this before.  When people stood before me with sickness of mind, body, emotion and/or spirit.  Broken hearted at what life has presented.  Not understanding how and/or why.  

Folks this is not evangelism but this is the intimate engagement of the holy spirit (at least so I think right now).  There was the women with the issue of blood who took what she needed from behind.   Yes, they interacted but she had already taken here healing in a corporate environment.

But I guess I am reminded of the story of Elisha and the boy who be brought back from death (2 KINGS 4:18-36).  At one point the text reads:

“When Elisha reached the house, there was the boy lying dead on his couch. He went in, shut the door on the two of them and prayed to the LORD. Then he got on the bed and lay upon the boy, mouth to mouth, eyes to eyes, hands to hands. As he stretched himself out upon him, the boy's body grew warm. Elisha turned away and walked back and forth in the room and then got on the bed and stretched out upon him once more. The boy sneezed seven times and opened his eyes.”

If this experience, or any other like it becomes available, it will be an intimate act with the one who stand in need.  And yet, I will be stretched before them.  I will be challenged at my core.  It will be good but it will be both draining and challenging.

The Chaplin asked me about how do we minister to a woman who has just lost her baby?  A child or adult diagnosed with cancer?  A gang member shot in battle turf?  A mother who has illness but 5 children and no husband?  A man who provides for his family but has a terminally ill disease?

Powerful questions that dancing Sunday morning, speaking in tongues, and the like mean nothing to when one stands in need of seeing a glimpse of God in a potentially dim and dark space.  

What am I saying:  There is a need for Sunday service a need for dancing, praising, praying (in all types of tongues), speaking life to the masses and the like.  But we as pastors/ministers must not forget the needs of those during the week.  And ALL needs cannot be met on Sunday morning.  The ministry during the week is just as important as the ministry on Sunday mornings.  
I pray throughout my lifetime that I might be stretched so that others might see this light which God has not only placed in side of my but is also side of those (who like me) stand in need of something from God.  Beyond healing, we all stand in need of something (affirmation, peace of mind, direction, etc.)

Yet, God does provide every one of our needs.  

“The Lord is here, He has established His name, and it shall reign FOREVER.”

About me

  • I'm Rev. Courtney Clayton Jenkins
  • From Cleveland Heights, OH, United States
  • I am a young woman in pursuit of her God given destiny. It is an interesting road to travel. I don't have it all together and a lot to learn. Step by step and day by day I keep pushing on. These are my thoughts about life, love, the Word and the world.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates

Pannasmontata calendar