« Home | Will the real Miss Spelman please stand up? » | Comedy in Prosperity » | For Heavens Sake » | Just to let you know... » | You Think You Know…But You Have No Idea » | LOVE .... This is cool » | Field Education Updates » | In the midst of mid-terms....SO » | Pictures....Yeah! » | The Trinity: Do we really recognize ALL of God? » 

Monday, April 17, 2006 

Ignorance you can do something about.



This past weekend I picked up a bottle of Formula 50 Vitaminwater. Although I like the taste I will not be purchasing this product any longer. This is because I was VERY OFFENDED by the information listed on the side of your bottle. The side of the bottle reads, “50 cent’s new album is bound to go platinum. So formula 50 decided to go platinum too. Not to be outdone, we are happy to announce the release of our own album, “hydrate or die tryin’.” All we need is one little should out at the MTV video music awards. Suckaz be movin’ out the way at them beverage conferences. Plus our drink has the nutrients you need to fuel you through your day. That’s just how we roll here in queens.”

As an African-American I found the use of such phrases as "suckaz be movin'" offensive and degrading to other African Americans. Although the bottle may not explicitly say that vitaminwater is making “fun of” African Americans…to me, they are! They are making fun of the way African Americans talk. Ultimately vitaminwater is promoting the use of improper language—by way of 50 cent who does the same.

I would never expect a professional product like Vitaminwater to perpetuate such ignorance and degradation. I think the marketing team should revamp their approach for Formula 50.

I would encourage each of you who read this to write vitaminwater and complain. I did.


Go to http://www.vitaminwater.com/ and click on “Contact us.”

About me

  • I'm Rev. Courtney Clayton Jenkins
  • From Cleveland Heights, OH, United States
  • I am a young woman in pursuit of her God given destiny. It is an interesting road to travel. I don't have it all together and a lot to learn. Step by step and day by day I keep pushing on. These are my thoughts about life, love, the Word and the world.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates

Pannasmontata calendar