« Home | First Day of Classes » | Settled In... » | Starting to open up... » | Preaching at OIBC » | Preaching at Olivet Institutional Baptist Church. ... » | Amazing. Every time I look at this picture I feel... » | Isn't that beautiful » | I took this picture outside of the Hadley's home. ... » | My Three SIMs (Sisters In Ministry) Quinnise, Che... » | My Hair Isn't it long. I've come so far in this y... » 

Wednesday, October 05, 2005 

Sorry its been so long...

I know, I know!  It has been forever since I wrote something.  Yet, I think that this should attest to the fact hat Princeton is HARD AS HELL.  I knew that the process and work load was going to be difficult so it takes some adjusting.  I still don’t think that I have a regular routine, but I will keep working at it.

Let’s see so much has happened.

I have already turned in two papers.  The first was for Church History (CH) on the effects of women in Martyrdom.  It was quite challenging and I was extremely nervous because it was my first paper.  I felt good about my product until I went to class and other students started sharing their papers upon the same topic.  But, I did ok on the paper and I was satisfied with my grade.  The second paper I turned in was for Old Testament (OT) on the story of Hagar and her son Ishmael.  I really enjoyed this paper but it was very challenging.  First of all we cannot go over 1000 words.  That is not a lot of words when you are trying to explain a text and they want scripture sited every 3 sentences.  Ladies and gentlemen this is very difficult.  I will get this paper back tomorrow.  But with OT the papers are pass or fail.  If you fail you have the opportunity to re-write. I pray that I passed because I don’t have time to rewrite a paper.  I have 2 papers due next week.  So my plan is to finish one this week and the other this weekend.  I pray that plan works.  I really don’t like trying to edit/write and 3:00 AM the night before.

I am taking Hebrew.  Lord have Mercy!  Hebrew is challenging. So many rules.  The rules are fairly consistent but it is extremely challenging.  I was praying about weather to take the class pass/fail or for a grade.  My flesh was screaming pass/fail but my spirit said grade.  So I went with the latter.  I am frustrated but I do have the victory.  Please keep this at the top of your prayer lists.  But let me say that I do have a wonderful teacher.  In fact, he wrote the book that seminaries use for Hebrew.  So its great to have the Hebrew guru as your professor.  

I am taking this speech class.  Although the class is not challenging it does cause me some internal conflict.  Princeton has this method of making cookie cutter speakers out of its students.  It is the Presbyterian USA method.  But we all know that is not how BLACK FOLK speak or read scriptures.  There reading style is more dramatic than passionate.  So my professor is trying to get me to read like the Preby’s but I struggle because I have cultivated my gift of speech for a long time.  He does bring some good suggestions and some I can accept but you know I want to be true to myself.  So we shall see.

I had the opportunity to sit in on Cornel West’s class for about an hour or so last night.  He teaches Intro to Black Intellectualism with Dr. Eddie Glaude.  Wow, both of these men were phenomenal.  The class was discussing, none other than, W.E.B.’s “Souls of Black Folk.”  Very very good.  They brought some new insight that I had not see before.   I would love to take one of West’s classes but his Intro to Black Intellectualism starts with 250 pages of reading each week.  But already Toni Morrison and Tavis Smiley have visited his class.  So I hope to be able to take one of his courses before I graduate.

I have been church hopping.  Which I have mixed emotions about. I have so many churches that I want to visit but I don’t like getting an inconsistent word.  For a while I was going too “The Baptists Worship Center” with Bishop Millicent Hunter.  That I enjoyed.  I am sure I will go back.  There is no African American female faculty here at PTS, so I would like to have a female pastor preferably, or a church where female full time leadership is on staff.  We shall see.  Dr. Hale was here Sunday.  Praise the lord for Manna and Quail.  As always she preached fire from her belly.  I miss the Ray but I know it’s not my season for that place right now.

I have met some great people here.  Mostly men.  There are supposedly 20 African American students in my entering class.  Only 5 of us are women.  But I still don’t think that I have seen 20.  Anywho, I have become particularly close with two guys, Cory and Marcus.  We study together and hang out on the weekends.  They are very nice and focused.  Each different in their own way but I appreciate the friendship and the support.  Something interesting about each…Cory is a Morehouse man and we share a lot in common.  But we didn’t know each other while in the AUC.  Marcus is COGIC (Church Of God In Christ).  This is interesting for 2 reasons.  For one, the COGIC faith is not big on theological education.  So I am proud of him for stepping out on faith in that regard.  Secondly, he is COGIC and at a Presbyterian seminary.  Pray for the brotha.  COGIC is the largest black PENTACOSTAL denomination.  Nuff said!!

Well time to get dressed for chapel.  I love u and miss you and I’ll write again this weekend.  I had a defining moment in my ministry last weekend but I just don’t have enough time to get into it now.  So look back early next week for my entry.

Be Blessed!

Court

About me

  • I'm Rev. Courtney Clayton Jenkins
  • From Cleveland Heights, OH, United States
  • I am a young woman in pursuit of her God given destiny. It is an interesting road to travel. I don't have it all together and a lot to learn. Step by step and day by day I keep pushing on. These are my thoughts about life, love, the Word and the world.
My profile
Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates

Pannasmontata calendar